Mohd. Ayub Qadri
University of Kashmir, India
National Institute of Immunology, New Delhi, India
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas, USA.
Understanding immunity and host-pathogen interactions during infection with Salmonella
Debjani Dutta, Ajay Suresh Akhade, Farhat Parween, Sonia, Ram Pal
Summary of Research
Pathogenic Salmonella species produce a number of clinical manifestations in humans and animals. Salmonella typhi causes systemic infection, typhoid, in humans while non-tyhoidal Salmonella serovars such as Salmonella typhimurium produce only self-limiting localized gastroenteritis. In mice, however, infection with Salmonella typhimurium leads to a systemic disease that is analogous to human typhoid; Salmonella typhi does not establish successful infection in mice. The reasons for different clinical manifestations produced by these two very closely related Salmonella serovars and the host specificity exhibited by them are not understood. Also, the mechanism by which pathogenic Salmonella overcomes host immune defenses in order to establish systemic infection is not clear. Work in our laboratory addresses these two important issues. More specifically, our work focuses on
i) deciphering host-pathogen interactions during infection with S.typhi and S.typhimurium.
ii) understanding modulation of immune responses during infection with pathogenic Salmonella.
- Rohini Garg and Ayub Qadri. (2010) Hemoglobin transforms anti-inflammatory Salmonella typhi virulence polysaccharide into a TLR-2 agonist. J Immunol. 184: 5980-7.
- Subramanian, N. and Qadri, A.(2006) Lysophospholipid sensing triggers secretion of flagellin from pathogenic salmonella. Nat Immunol. 7:583-9.
- Sharma, A. and Qadri, A. (2004)Vi polysaccharide of Salmonella typhi targets the prohibitin family of molecules in intestinal epithelial cells and suppresses early inflammatory responses. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 101:17492-7.
- Ayub Qadri and E. Sally Ward (2001) Activation of a T cell hybridoma by an alloligand results in differential effects on IL-2 secretion and activation induced cell death. Eur. J. Immunol.31:3825-32.
- Ayub Qadri, C. Radu, J. Thatte, P. Cianga, B. Ober, R. Ober and E. Sally Ward (2000). A role for the region encompassing the c" strand of a TCR Va domain in T cell activation events. J. Immunol. 165:820-829.
- Ayub Qadri, J. Thatte, C. Radu, B. Ober and E. Sally Ward (1999) Characterisation of the interaction of a T cell receptor a chain variable domain with MHC class II I-A molecules International Immunology 11: 967-977.
- Ayub Qadri. (1997) Identification of specific recognition molecules on murine mononuclear phagocytes and B lymphocytes for Vi capsular polysaccharide: modulation of MHC class II expression on stimulation with the polysaccharide. IMMUNOLOGY 92: 146-152.
- Qadri, A., S. Ghosh and G. P. Talwar. (1990) Monoclonal antibodies against two discrete determinants on Vi capsular polysaccharide. J. Immunoassay 11: 235-250.
- Qadri, A., S. Ghosh, S. N. Upadhyay and G. P. Talwar. (1989) Monoclonal antibodies against flagellar antigen of Salmonella typhi. Hybridoma 8:353-359
- Qadri, A., S. K. Gupta and G. P. Talwar (1988) Monoclonal antibodies delineate multiple epitopes on the O antigens of Salmonella typhi lipopolysaccharide. J. Clin. Microbiol. 26:2292-2296.